Sport-Études Program

Lester B. Pearson High School Academics

Lester B. Pearson High School's Sport-études program is designed for the high performance athlete who is able to maintain high academic standards.

This high-level program is recognized by the Ministère de l'Éducation de Québec (MEQ) and is administered in conjunction with provincial sports federations. It allows students to combine learning an athletic sport and academic studies, in order to achieve excellence in both spheres.

We provide our student athletes with a supportive environment which will enable them to succeed academically while pursuing their athletic careers.

We have two streams, Honours Math Sport Études where students will be on the accelerated math and science path and the regular stream where students complete the same QEP program as the rest of the school but in 75% of instructional time.

Sport-Études Program Outline

The Sport-Études program provides for a personalized daily schedule, daily study hall and tutorials, sufficient time to practice and compete in your sport, flexible deadlines and the opportunity to work on assignments and projects remotely.

Admission Prerequisites
  • You must be eligible to attend a public English High School.

To be admitted into the program, students must:

  • Have 75% or above in English, French and Math.
  • Be successful in all other subjects.
  • Take a placement exam (compulsory for students applying for admission for Sec. 1 of the upcoming academic school year).
  • Registration for the placement exams will be done online or at our Open House.
Academic Requirements

Student-athletes in recognized programs must therefore engage with a great deal of autonomy and seriousness if they are to be successful.

  • A student must meet the requirements for a Secondary School Diploma in 75% of the designated time, leaving the remaining 25% of the time to pursue the athletic endeavours.
  • The schedule must allow for the student athlete to cover all the required subjects.
  • The student athletes are subject to the same evaluation process as all other students (i.e. MEQ Provincial Examinations, School Board Examinations, etc.)
  • The student athletes are to maintain an average to above average success rate in each subject. They will also receive pedagogical support whenever necessary.

Once enrolled, it is necessary to maintain an academic standard:

  • Have 70% or above in English, French and Math.
  • Obtain a passing grade in all other subjects.

It is also necessary to be in good standing with sport partner:

  • Maintain membership with sport partner.
  • Attend sport regularly.
  • Meet performance objectives of the sport.  
Program Objectives
  • To provide a balance between the academic and athletic development of the student athlete.
  • To provide time to work on school assignments and to access remedial help when required.
  • To schedule the necessary time to allow the student athlete to practice their sport while providing the opportunity to:
    • Eat at a more reasonable hour
    • Have sufficient rest
    • Reduce the mental and psychological stress created by both academic and athletic demands.
  • To develop the student athlete as a whole person by fostering:
    • Strong social skills
    • Strong organizational skills
    • Effective community skills
    • Cooperative “team” skills
    • Perseverance and the pursuit of excellence
Support Services

The Sport-Études program also provides for support services including:

  • Baseline Concussion Testing
  • Physiotherapy consultations
  • Nutrition & sports medicine sessions
  • Guest speakers
Sport Concentration Option

In addition to having provincial agreements with the sports federations above, Lester B. Pearson High School also offers a Sport Concentration Program. Students enrolled in this option enjoy the same schedule and academic benefits as those students recognized as Sport-Études. Students in the Sport Concentration Program must meet a certain level of ability and level of training within their sport.